The study, published in The Lancet, says urgent action is needed to tackle ”the pandemic of inactivity”, as this lack of activity is causing 5.3m deaths a year. It is recommended that adults do 150 minutes of moderate exercise, such as brisk walking, cycling or gardening, each week.
The study estimates that a third of adults are not doing enough physical activity, but in Lincolnshire there are lots of things to do to keep active!
- Health Walks - are FREE organised walks in rural areas and towns, led by volunteer walk leaders. Walks are suitable for beginners lasting between 45 minutes and one hour. They take place at various times of the day, throughout all districts in Lincolnshire.
- Exercise Referral – is a 12-week programme for adults aged 18 plus with a medical condition that would benefit from exercise
- Fit Kids - is a 12-week weight management programme for children aged 8 – 11 years and their families. Children learn with fun activities with sessions on healthy eating and choosing an active lifestyle.
- Vitality - incorporates physio-based movement and is for the Over 60s, or those of any age who have medical conditions which prevent them from exercising in a ‘normal’ setting. Vitality classes aim to improve mobility, respiration, balance, posture and coordination through carefully planned exercise classes taken by trained and qualified instructors and take place across the County in a variety of settings.
- Jog Lincolnshire – is an exciting new countywide project which aims to encourage people to be more active by jogging on a regular basis.
- Quest for Gold - provides an opportunity for individuals aged 16 years or over to get involved in all Olympic and Paralympic sports across Lincolnshire.
- Find a Club – let’s you find a sports club in Lincolnshire
- Sportivate sessions - a national programme, managed by Sport England and delivered by Lincolnshire Sport Partnership, which funds sport sessions to encourage teenagers to take part in sport.
- Bike 4 Life - is a fully inclusive bike hire scheme for children and adults with disabilities in Lincolnshire. Inclusive bike hire is available at four venues with safe cycle routes nearby and equipment available to hire. Families can bring their own bikes or hire them from the Bike 4 Life venues in Bourne, Lincoln, Bardney and Louth.
Check out our website for further information on all the above schemes.